Re: [OM] You know you need therapy when...

Subject: Re: [OM] You know you need therapy when...
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:55:43 -0400
> I was almost as bad a few years ago. But at least I ran a roll thru each
> body to test it & checked lenses while I was at it :-)

I am afraid I might miss a sale or two while I am loading the camera :)

I check the lenses carefully, but don't have time to check the cameras.  But
I have been mostly buying OM1 bundles, where the lenses are worth a lot more
than the cameras.

I already had two major problems... Both were very similar... An OM2 with a
50mm f1.4 lens, a 28mm lens, T32 flash, generic lenses and some accessories
thrown in.  I won the lots for $120 and $150. I was thinking just selling
the lenses will give me the bodies and flash for free.

What I received was beyond imagination.  One body was heavily worn dirty and
with dings (not shown or described), lenses with damaged coatings/glass,
haze and dings.  One T32 had a leak, cracks and was missing a contact.  The
other T32 was cracked at the top.

One auction had a length description of the items but NO word about
condition and nothing strange was shown in the small ebay pictures.  I
complained and the seller said something like "I am sorry you are
disappointed, but the equipment worked well last time I used it".  Lenses
with scratches and dings certainly "work", but have zero resale value...
Anyway, I returned this lot (at a slight loss in return shipping).

I intend to return the other lot too (this was described as everything being
in "excellent condition" and this was the one with the worse problems) but
the seller has not replied (yet).

That's the problem with buying "bargains" in ebay... There is a certain
element of luck. If the items are not shown or described well, prices are
lower, but you don't know what you are getting and you hope to get "lucky".
It might end up being a waste of time and money.

George