Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:37:33 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernando Gonzalez Gentile"

>C.H.Ling wrote:
>> The link for panel search is interesting,
>Found this one too: <http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm>

>> my EIZO has a Samsung PVA (I knew
>> it has a Samsung panel before), the key is not only the panel, it is the
>> whole circuit count. I'm not very critical on monitor requirement, as
>> long
>> as all color gamma are accurate and I can resolve all 255 grey block that
>> is
>> ok (I'm still missing the darkest 2-3).
>>
>Do you men those here? <http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php>, or

No, I can resolve all whites although only marginally see 254.

here: <http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php>

Yes, I can only marginally see block 3 but I think it is not that bad.

>Ran the whole calibration at the site, had to do some minor adjustments
>in the nvidia video card - and while in the first test I can barely if
>any see the brightest block, this Viewsonic CRT G75ƒ+  clearly gets the
>darkest blocks in the second test. I fact, I adjusted Brightness using
>the darkest block.

I don't need any video card adjustment to achieve the results. CRT is easier
to adjust for dark but beware of the dark level moved too high so you cannot
get rich black, so for me I prefer to leave the '1' un-readable.

BTW, another key is the gamma so you need to pass gamma, white level and
black level.

>> There are sharpness adjustment on some monitors, my EIZO does not have
>> one
>> but my Samsung is over sharpened by default so I have to set it to
>> neutral.
>> The Apple monitor you have seen may be adjusted to a high sharpen level
>> due
>> to someone's preference.
>
>Well, I thought about that possibility. Either from Tiger or Leopard,
>ColorSync is very much like the old ColorSync. With my old Mac monitor,
>ColoSync asks for setting contrast at maximum (just as Adobe Gamma
>does), and there is a knob for doing so. There were no knobs I could
>find in the iMac to set contrast (same goes for my mother's old G3 iMac,
>running Tiger) - but I can walk up there, the store is very near my home
>- and if I ask the proper question, I'm certain they will answer honestly.
>Unless I'm forgetting something, or I didn't find a Contrast / Sharpen
>knob or software control into ColorSync, I'm afraid it cannot be set
>unless you enter its bios ... there's no Nvidia Control Panel in a Mac.

My EIZO has no contrast adjustment too, only gamma, brightness (actually
backlight) and RGB (or you can use color temp.). I don't think it is
necessary to have sharpness control in LCD unless to compensate for eyesight
problem :-)

C.H.Ling