Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:46:54 -0400
I have 4GB installed and I know the system sees at least 3GB (because it
tells me it does).  I was playing around with a switch in the boot.ini
file which was supposed to raise that to 3.5 but I don't know if it
worked or not.  In fact, I don't even understand if the 3GB that is
reported is a system wide limit or an application limit.  (There is
supposedly a method where an application can have 3GB even though it may
only be able to address 2GB)

This is typical Intel hardware games.  Ever since the days of the early
PCs Intel has added stuff in hardware that allows using more memory than
is directly addressable via various forms of "bank switching".  ie; the
2GB that my application sees may not be the same physical 2GB that your
application sees.  And the OS is left to manage all this according to
its whims and marketability.

Chuck Norcutt