Re: [OM] Capa in doubt

Subject: Re: [OM] Capa in doubt
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:16:39 -0400
Funny you should mention that.  My wife's uncle (Capt. John Craven) who
retired as Chaplain of the Marine Corps in 1974 was a working chaplain
on Iwo Jima during the invasion.  The family has a photo of him standing
around talking with some other officers with the Suribachi flag in the
background.  He was right there for the raising and the shot of him
there was done only minutes after Rosenthal's shot.  I know Rosenthal
always insisted that his shot wasn't staged.  Unfortunately, I never
asked Capt. Craven about it not realizing there was a controversy when
he was still alive.  He's been gone now since 2001.  He was a pretty
amazing guy. Very modest but everybody's friend.  Not only was he in
many important places during the second world war and Korea (battle of
the Chosin Reservoir) but was also the chaplain of the Marine Pacific
Force during Vietnam and of Bethesda Naval Hospital at the time Kennedy
was assassinated. It was his job to meet the family and friends when
Kennedy's body was brought there.  If you're interested you can read
about him here: <http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jhcraven.htm>

Chuck Norcutt