Re: [OM] IMGs: Two OM-1n prints (50mm/24mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Two OM-1n prints (50mm/24mm)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:30:39 +0200
Haha, no John, I am using this component called a "file" from
"a toolbox in the garage" which produced a file-out metal negative
carrier that gives pretty 'rough' borders by allowing the enlarger
light to shine around the negative onto the paper ;-)

The image you saw had zero digital post-processing applied, it's as
it came from the tray(s) of chemicals. What I like about the filed
negative
carrier, is it only works on images that were perfectly composed in-
camera,
as it's impossible to crop afterwards and still have this effect.
There is
a certain 'honesty' about such a print...

(not that I am saying cropping is bad, I do it all the time, but when
you have an image which
you can proudly say does not need cropping to fulfill your artistic
vision, what better
way to show that off than a filed negative carrier?)

It's ironic that you have to use special software, or half an hour in
photoshop,
to produce digitally similar borders I get for free just by being
'sloppy'
in the darkroom... I Love it!

On 21 Jul 2009, at 2:18 PM, John Hermanson wrote:

> Very nice work Dawid.  Are you using "sloppy borders" by Kubota
> Image Tools?
<snip>

> Chris Barker wrote:
>> Nice shots, David, especially the first one.  I like the filed-out
>> carrier and the framed effect.
>>
>> Chris

<snip>