Re: [OM] f.a.q on OM 4 & OM 4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] f.a.q on OM 4 & OM 4Ti
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:40:17 -0400
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
 > John, thanks for answering.
 >
 > I knew about the chrome battery caps, but had doubts about the motor
drive cap: the black cap would not screw until flat on the surface of
the 4Ti body, and I didn't want to apply any more torque than which I
was able to do with my right thumb.

<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html#ques_B5>

 > So far, it only happened once with my OM 4 body: When attaching PBG2
+ T32 + Winder2 +TTL Cable + Shutter release cable from PBG2 and Winder2.
 > camera went mad and the red spot meter light and the self timer red
light started to blink quickly, and shutter wouldn't fire.
 > Disconnected the short cable between PBG2 and winder, and it calmed down.
 > Next time I used the same setup, I did so with all switches turned
off (winder2, T32), and this behavior didn't repeat.

Usually this defect is indicative of loose bottom cover screws.  When
screws and bottom are loose, this causes intermittent power from the
batteries.  Remember, the + side of the battery only touches the battery
cap, which transmits power through the bottom cover which relies on good
contact between bottom cover and main body casting.   There are no wires
connecting + side of batteries to circuit.  Adding PBG2, and winder puts
all that extra weight on the bottom and may cause bottom cover to move.

 > But I still find something odd, maybe idiosyncratic of the plain 4,
and it puzzles me:
 > When I turn the Auto-Manual lever to Battery Check, both the Spot red
light and the viewfinder's Flash Ready red light (bottom-right in the
display), turn On before the Self Timer red light turns on and beep.
 > That is, before the lever reaches the Battery Check position.

VF flash ready light should NOT turn on when you use battery check.
Somethings wrong here.

 > Another almost unimportant issue is that the beep sound when removing
the lens is almost inaudible in the 4 compared to the 4Ti

Don't know about this.

 > Last, I found another issue which I found surprising and somehow
annoying:
 > With no lens mounted, and meter On on both the 4 and 4Ti - they
turned Off as expected, but the 4 meter will not turn On again when
pressing the Shutter Release button, while the 4Ti will. I lost one
Velvia 50 frame pressing the Shutter button more than what necessary,
and in this country you find Velvia nowhere! :-)

Meter should not relight without lens mounted.

 > Every Velvia 24*36mm area is too valuable :-)
 >
 > To make the 4 meter to turn On, I should either move the lever to
Battery Check, or (this I don't recall to well, so not sure about) press
the viewfinder display illumination button. Just spreading the news, in
case these 'confusional states' could harm the circuit.