Re: [OM] f.a.q on OM 4 & OM 4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] f.a.q on OM 4 & OM 4Ti
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:28:09 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Well, it was quite foreseeable that I would start a thread like this one.
>
> I'll begin with the easy ones:
>
> 1- While changing the winder from the 4 to the 4Ti, I removed the chrome cap
> on the 4Ti and found that it would not screw easily on the 4 body. I somehow
> recall having read something on this here, long ago. Just wanted to be sure:
> the chrome cap won't screw on a 4 body, and the black cap won't screw on the
> 4Ti body. Am I right?. OTOH, battery caps are interchangeable.

All caps, battery and winder, on all the OM-4 body series are
interchangeable. Original caps for the OM-4 were painted black. But
there was so much trouble with bits of paint getting into the threads
and causing poor battery connections that Oly switched to chrome caps.
If I recall correctly, this happened before the OM-4Ti came out.

Just for fun, I just switched the battery and winder caps on an OM-4.
They fit and work just fine reversed, once I changed the dead batteries.
:-)

Moose

> 2- I felt surprised by this one, never read of it here and it's not mentioned
> in the Manual of the 4Ti: after the winder2 was attached and working, I set
> the shutter speed dial to red 1/60 and to B. I fired on Sequence mode while
> looking at the shutter curtain. Both curtains seem to travel together, I
> could see no light through, at mechanical 1/60. But if I fire using the
> camera's shutter release button, it appears to be alright.

My question is - why bother? To me, the red 1/60 is strictly for
emergencies when the battery is dead. In that case, I wouldn't be
shooting with a winder in sequence mode anyway. Red 1/60 is an odd mode;
it's not like they put in a full 1/60 gear train like on an OM-1 or 3,
so I'm not surprised that it doesn't get along with rapid fire shooting
with a winder.

Go take some pictures with the camera. :-)

Moose