[OM] Olympus E-P1 - Your take on the whole plastic thing?

Subject: [OM] Olympus E-P1 - Your take on the whole plastic thing?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:15:50 +0200
There is a raging debate on DPReview about the E-P1 and the lenses
being constructed entirely of plastic. See the pictorial disassmebly
of the E-P1 here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=32207680

What is your take on this? I don't have particularly strong feelings
about this -
all the cameras I currently use are entirely made of metal, and of
course feel
very nice, but what bothers me is the sad attempt at hiding it by
putting a thin
layer of metal on an otherwise entire made-of-plastic lens and camera.

This, to me, is like the new MINI Cooper S, which has an "air intake"
on the bonnet, but
this air intake is completely blocked off (and probably actually
decreases aerodynamic
efficiency" all because the previous model, which had a supercharger,
needed this cooling intake.
I can't stand fakery like this, it always exists to hide a less-than-
innovative product.

Is this not the same? Instead of innovating, is Olympus not just
paying homage to
the previous model with this thin veneer, instead of really innovating
and building
a special product?

As I said, I have no strong feelings, but what do you guys feel?