Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 - Your take on the whole plastic thing?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 - Your take on the whole plastic thing?
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:31:07 +0800
If plastic part is just using on the camera frame that is ok to me, covering
the plastic with a thin metal is more than acceptable, I prefer this more
than just a plastic case like the XA. What bother me is not the plastic it
is the high price :-)

I have no problem with plastic body as long as all critical moving parts are
using the right materials (there are many different types of plastic and in
some area metal may do better). My DZ 11-22 could have problem in design (or
manufacturing), the front element group had a play of around 0.5mm after
three years of light use, this made infinity focus impossible at 18mm in the
worse case, don't know if this is related to a worn out of plastic part.

I don't have much confidence on Olympus after experiencing so many problems
myself.

BTW, I just have a look on my 50-250, the major part of the body is metal,
only the aperture setting ring is plastic.

C.H.Ling