Re: [OM] (OT) More From Acadia

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) More From Acadia
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:42:17 -0500

> For the moment, I'm happy to sell to the first two categories, and have a
> hard time even dealing with the third. (There may be more categories than
> these, probably are, but I'm shooting from the lip here and not really
> thinking this through.) My experience has been that if I set out to create
> art, I create crap. If I set out to do a good job satisfying my customer
> base, I occasionally screw up and capture a memorable photograph.

Agree, entirely!  My biggest sellers are the meat and potatoes "postcard"
shots.  For example, of my Isle Royale images, it isn't the artistic ones
that have sold, it's the stupid "Here is what I saw at noon" down at the
boat dock where the ferry arrives shots.

And, no, those shots aren't selling for $2000 apiece. They aren't "limited
edition" and they aren't printed 48" wide!!!  The largest prints that
largely sell are in the 8x10 to 11x14 size. Surprisingly, though, 5x7 prints
do quite well!

As to the third category, I've "stumbled upon" a couple pictures that
satisfy those snobs but aiming for that category hasn't worked for me yet.
My artistic vision isn't quite refined enough yet for them.

AG