Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 06:18:24 -0400
On May 7, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Chris Crawford wrote:

>> Minuteman park lies between
>> Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts not far from where I used to
>> live.
>>  Some photos were taken there and others are either in Lexington or
>> Concord.  <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/Minuteman%20Park/index.htm>

I got to Ft. Devens, Mass., in March of 1968, a little more than a
month before an unknown (to me) holiday, Patriot's Day. As part of the
Patriot's Day celebration, a very large number of soldiers from the
ASA training facility at Ft. Devens joined the annual march from Acton
to Concord. When we arrived at Minuteman Park, we had to stand in
formation for _hours_. Every time a new unit, whether regular Army or
reenactors, marched past, we were called to attention to salute the
colors. A group of us bad broken formation and gone to the local ice
cream vendor and returned unseen, but had very little chance to
actually enjoy our purloined fruits because of being forced to present
arms every few minutes. I also got in trouble on the march for bumming
a drink of water from a Boy Scout. It seems the Army neglected to
issue us web belts and canteens for the march. We were, to say the
least, parched. For some reason that whole day remains very clear in
my memory. Like many April days in New England, it started cold (3
a.m.) and got much warmer after the sun came up. Of course we had been
ordered to dress for the cold, not the warmth. It's the Army way.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com