Re: [OM] Flower show portrait 2009

Subject: Re: [OM] Flower show portrait 2009
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:18:58 -0500

> Well, just to be contrary, that ain't necessarily so. My D3 is set to
> shoot on release. I focus with the AF-ON button. There is no delay
> between punching the shutter and capturing the image. I also can
> manual focus. There's no DOF gauge, but I can still hit the hyperfocal
> pretty accurately by picking something the right distance, setting
> focus, and then forgetting it. Now if you want to talk about the
> amount of time it takes to actually raise that 5-pound brick to the
> eye, that's something else. <g>

I don't dispute that in the least.  I tend to operate the E-1 in a similar
manner. But I ask the question:  Can you manually adjust aperture and/or
focus without looking at the camera? The answer with most of our pro-level
DSLRs is "yes", but with caveats.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, what I'm saying is that
they are different than each other and encourage the photographer to utilize
the features and strengths of a given system. But unfortunately those
features and strengths do alter how and what you are photographing.

AG