Re: [OM] Highly overrated? Not

Subject: Re: [OM] Highly overrated? Not
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:39:47 -0500
Dr Flash wrote:

> Never seen one of those... yet.  (Err99)

That seems to be one of those catchall error codes that's used for
everything from lens-camera communications failure (dirty contacts) to
battery on the fritz to all-out four legs pointing to the sky dead.

I see that there is a new firmware update for a couple of the models which
fixes the Err99 by renaming it to other error numbers.

Now, before our resident darksiders go and launch tiefighters at me and
think I'm unfairly targeting their beloved axes of choice, I'm not.  Every
digital camera has faults--even my E-1 has one fatal one that can occur when
I'm running multiple bursts of pictures and the file-writing goes into bog
mode and locks the camera up for five minutes.  But my point is that some
cameras are more resiliant to faults than others by design.  A fault which
will bring one camera to its knees will be compartmentalized by another.

It's kinda like Microsoft vs Mac-OS, vs Linux.  The computer may be subject
to something as simple as attaching/detaching a printer, which is turned
on.  Remember the infamous BSOD* that occured when Bill Gates was speaking
at that conference?

Err99 is just Canon's version of the BSOD.

AG

*Blue Screen Of Death