Re: [OM] Ritz going under

Subject: Re: [OM] Ritz going under
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:21:15 -0600

> I worked shit jobs like that as a college student, and like many students
> who work retail, I discovered that the harder you work the more the
> managers
> of those stores spit on you. Employers that pay low wages don't simply pay
> low wages, they cultivate a management culture of disrespect for the
> humanity of the employees. The employees are, after all, just trash. If
> they
> were better they wouldn't make $7 an hour.

I had the pleasure of working directly for the owner of a camera
store/pro-lab.  I worked very hard and always went beyond the basic duty.
He offered full-time employment as well as the role of
office-manager/bookkeeper to the list, which would have been decent pay AND
a step towards possibly running the joint a dozen years down the road.  I
chose not to take the job because my goals were elsewhere and I couldn't
commit to a long-term employment.

Also, while in college, I worked as a hockey-puck turner at McDonald's, a
computer-lab assistant at the college and a secretary for a semi-retired
college professor. Three jobs, not one livable, but between the three I
managed about 50-60 hours a week of income along with the full-time load of
college classes.  McDonald's offered me the opportunity of fast-track
management, the school offered me full-time employment as a nighttime
computer-tape jockey and the semi-retired college professor was offering me
full 50/50 partnership in his business.  Instead, one of my college
professors, who had connections to a software company recommended me for
full-time employment.

Hard work and a good attitude DOES get noticed.  But you've got to have
both!  If the brain-dead low-level management cr*ps on you, it's not
uncommon for the next level up of management to notice your work ethic
anyway and usually offers a position outside of the normal idiots ladder to
$10.65 per hour and all the abuse you can handle.

Looking back at my one and only termination of employment (downsizing due to
economy), I realize that even though I was an extremely hard worker, my
attitude wasn't the greatest.  It took me 21 months before being fully
employed again.  My attitude through those 21 months was, as I recognize
now, horrid.  All employers in those days were crooks and idiots.

AG