Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:37:27 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

> Why not simply copy a folder full of files and compare the result? It is how
> I use my backup drives.

Because I don't care enough to spend the time. I've done my research,
bought my equipment and am quite happy with the results.
> I'm not arguing the $5 difference, I will also go for the duo version, just
> don't belive there is such a big difference (even 3x not to mention 5x).

OK, make it whatever you want, it won't affect the reality for me of
faster performance. Some of the difference between our experiences may
well be a difference in drive performance.

So far, we are only testing drive speed on the (e)SATA connections, not
the limits of the SATA interface. And that's as it should be.

Relatively speaking, HDs are expensive and interfaces inexpensive. Why
should choice of interface slow down performance of the more expensive
components? But that's what's happening using USB, even with your older
drive. As Mr. Spock would say, "Illogical".

Moose