Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:58:56 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose"

> OK, make it whatever you want, it won't affect the reality for me of
> faster performance. Some of the difference between our experiences may
> well be a difference in drive performance.

Yes, obviously we have very different approach. Actually, I have sold my
3.5" backup drives two years ago and started to use 2.5" with USB case for
backup, the price is much more expensive but it doesn't need external power
and very protable. With less power and smaller disc, I feel it is more
reliable than 3.5" hard disk. Seperate the backups on more drivers is easier
for me to catalogue them and you won't loss all files with one drive
failure.

> So far, we are only testing drive speed on the (e)SATA connections, not
> the limits of the SATA interface. And that's as it should be.
>
> Relatively speaking, HDs are expensive and interfaces inexpensive. Why
> should choice of interface slow down performance of the more expensive
> components? But that's what's happening using USB, even with your older
> drive. As Mr. Spock would say, "Illogical".

We should think about overall performance not only one part of the component
where it is not the bottle neck. Just like people paying a premium for the
super fast CF card and use on the slow digital camera. Yes, you can use the
card later with fast digital camera but tomorrow the CF card price already
dropped to half or there is already a new memory type available where you
can't use your old card anymore.

If I go with external 3.5" backup, I don't mind to pay the extra for a
faster performance (if only I have eSATA on my computer but unfortunately
not).

I don't care much about backup performance, 50% increase in speed is not
critical to me. If it is my boot drive or for PS cache then I will choose a
faster one.

C.H.Ling