Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:53:24 -0500
I found your graphs very interesting since it made it obvious that I
haven't been paying close attention to changes in hard drive technology
for quite some time.  It was clear from the change in performance with
track radius that this drive has something like "constant linear
velocity" (CLV) as is used in CDs and DVDs where the bit density is
constant and the speed of the disk changes to keep the linear velocity
under the heads as constant.  Older hard drives use "constant angular
velocity" (CAV).  The disk rotation is constant as is the number of bits
per track but bit spacing on the outer tracks is greater.  This keeps
the bit rate passing under the heads as a constant but underutilizes the
recording density capabilities of the greater circumference of the outer
tracks.

A little googling told me quickly that newer hard drives hadn't
converted to CLV.  They still maintain a constant disk speed but take
advantage of greater track circumference by dividing the tracks into
zones in a technique called "zoned bit recording" (ZBR).  Sector counts
per track increase as you move from the inner to the outer zones.  Bit
frequency passing under the heads also increases as you move outward but
is constant within the zone.
<http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/tracks_ZBR.htm>

Your analysis of the speed drop-off as due to latency is incorrect since
you assumed that the highest performance was achieved on the inner
tracks.  In fact, the highest performance is achieved on the outer
tracks and, unlike CDs and DVDs which begin filling the disk from the
inside out, the hard drive works from the outside in.  Latency is only
related to spindle speed and not to recording density.  It's constant
anywhere on the disk.  However, latency really only relates to the first
seek trying to find the starting sector for some data request.  If the
request is large and the data continues on another track vertically up
or down the cylinder the transfer can continue with only a head switch
with no latency involved.  Likewise, if the data is on an adjacent track
served by the same head the only delay is track-to-track head
positioning which is on the order of 1ms or less.  Again, there is no
latency involved due to cylinder and head skew.  Cylinder and head skewt
offsets the starting track on the next cylinder to a position that will
place it under the head just as the head gets there instead of just
having passed by and having to wait for it to come around again.

In any case it behooves us these days to put files which require the
highest performance on the outside of the disk on the lowest cylinder
numbers.  There is probably some disk utility somewhere that can monitor
file usage and defrag your disk while moving high frequency usage data
to the outer zones.  But I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's part of
what you pay for in a server version of the OS.

Chuck Norcutt