Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:57:55 -0800
Mike Lazzari wrote:
>> Which of these adapters can be used will depend on the motherboard....
>>

> ... I have two of these to run external backup drives without having to
> switch wires. This still leaves one free eSATA port for occasional use. My
> remote enclosures have their own power supply and fan so you aren't pulling
> power from the computer.

I had a single backplane header and recently added one with two
additional connections to give me lots of flexibility. And to think that
I thought siz MB SATA headers were overkill when I got this box. Now
they are all full.

eSATA doesn't provide power, so the devices have to provide their own.

> Another reason the marketed external drives are slower is because they are
> typically a 5400rpm or slower drive with less cache.

Oh yeah, I forgot. That's another reason I bought drives and enclosures
separately. All 7200 rpm with 16MB caches on the smaller ones, 32MB on
the 1.5TBs.

> This probably doesn't matter for a straight backup drive but I keep my remote
> photo drives connected all the time which is easy to do with eSATA and I can
> download photos off the camera directly to the hd. They are alway available
> for browsing or editing with no speed penalty.

I keep mine connected all the time now, but turn them off when not in
use so they are safe from any virus that may wander by. I've never had a
virus damage anything, but choose to minimize temptation of fate. Lowers
my carbon footprint, too. :-)

Moose