Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB, 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:43:11 -0800

> Which of these adapters can be used will depend on the motherboard....

Chuck if you have SATA  headers on your motherboard you only need an
eSATA adapter that plugs into the header and mounts into a blank slot on
the back of the computer. This is for convenience only. Unless OEM's are
doing something I'm not aware of there is no difference whether the hd
is inside or outside the box.  No PCI card is required unless you lack
the mb headers. I have two of these to run external backup drives
without having to switch wires. This still leaves one free eSATA port
for occasional use. My remote enclosures have their own power supply and
fan so you aren't pulling power from the computer.

Another reason the marketed external drives are slower is because they
are typically a 5400rpm or slower drive with less cache. This probably
doesn't matter for a straight backup drive but I keep my remote photo
drives connected all the time which is easy to do with eSATA and I can
download photos off the camera directly to the hd. They are alway
available for browsing or editing with no speed penalty.

Mike