Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:29:19 -0800

>  I am totally mystified as to what computer gear I should have to run one or
> more hard drives of 500GB and (a lot ) more......
> (a)How did you format them?
>
> (b)How do you get your O/S to recognise and work with them?
>
> Brian Swale.
Brian, You are limited by a hardware issue, the motherboard. (not the
OS) There is a very small chance that you could flash the BIOS to an
updated version but I doubt it. This must be a really old mb in computer
years. You are stuck with the 137 limit and the only way around it is to
split the drive into partitions as someone mentioned. A PITA. Don't use
FAT32. Frankly, I wouldn't even do that. If you really must keep this
box just get a 120gb or 160gb  drive which will seem like tons of space
after the 40gb drive. You could even get 2 or 3 of these drives but that
isn't cost effective unless you get pulls from other computers as they
upgrade. But I wouldn't risk my photos to 2nd hand drives.  IMO any
pesos spent on this machine would be better spent on a new computer.
Around here $350 will get you a barebones system that will run circles
around the one you have plus take out the garbage and feed the dog :-)

Mike