Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:31:04 -0500
No, it won't unless he partitions the drive into multiple logical drives
less than or equal to 137MB.  The problem is that his version of the OS
doesn't support logical block addressing (LBA) which is required to
fully address all the space on a drive larger than 137GB.  Or the
current version of his OS may support LBA but his drive was formatted
and built at a time that it didn't.

After installing an LBA conforming version of the OS he can probably
enable LBA addressing on a drive by drive basis to avoid problems with
his current drive.  But it's potential problems with the current drive
and uncertainty about the ability to enable LBA on a drive by drive
basis that would keep me from doing it.  I would fear for the viability
of the boot drive after the conversion.  Not worth it which is why I say
get a newer system.  Doesn't have to be new.

Prior to the development of LBA drives were addressed on a cylinder,
head, sector basis and the data on his current drive is organized and
accessed that way.  The OS tells the drive: get me sectors 8, 9 and 10
from cylinder 32, head number 11.  With LBA the OS tells the drive: get
me sectors 58113, 58114 and 58115 and the OS has no idea about the
physical cylinder, head and sector organization of the drive or, as in
the case of a CF card, if it even has cylinders, heads and sectors.  I
have a very poor understanding about how one converts (on the fly) from
one system to another.

Although I understand the cause of the problem I'm not sure I understand
enough that I know with 100% certainty that I can solve it without
killing the current drive.

Chuck Norcutt