Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:03:12 -0800
> From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>

>>> So you don't have a wife and child to support? Clients often fall
>>> into that
>>> area, and who are we to be their brains?
>>
>> I'm uncertain what you are saying here. Are you saying that clients
>> don't have wives and children to support, and so have some special
>> insight into what camera one should be using?
>>
>> I'm only saying that if you hire a domain expert to do a job, stay
>> out
>> of their way while they work.
>>
> No, I'm saying you apparently don't and can be picky about whom you
> work
> for. Or, perhaps, you have made different lifestyle choices.

I think any of us "can be picky" about who we work for. It's just
another choice -- as is lifestyle. If I mortgaged myself to the hilt
and had a big car loan, then perhaps I'd think I couldn't be so picky.
Choice runs deep, and someone -- especially someone who claims to be
"self-employed" -- who says they "don't have a choice" in what camera
they use has made some other choices that are enslaving them.

> My friends experience was a full time commercial shooter, not someone
> selling pretty sunset pictures at art fairs. That probably means
> something,
> too.

Nice assumption. (You know what they say about assumptions, no? :-)
Reminds me of the time I was accused of not being as much a farmer as
another list member. We're currently putting up 2'400 feet of deer
fence. I'm not letting our customers decide what tools I'm using to
raise the fence.

The art photography is just a bit of amusement. Last year, it supplied
less than 2% of my gross photography income. When you take out
expenses, the art photography takes a loss, but don't tell the IRS.

I think this has come down to an argument about beliefs. I've largely
rejected the whole economy thing, and I can surely understand that
those who worship at the alter of the Almighty Dollar might think they
have no choice in what tools they use. But a slave is a slave, whether
to a lord in a castle, or to little bits of green paper and the fools
who supply them.

:::: Where did my money go? <http://www.warresisters.org/
piechart.htm> ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::