Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:05:56 -0600
Sue Pearce wrote:
>>> So you don't have a wife and child to support? Clients often fall
>>> into that
>>> area, and who are we to be their brains?
>> I'm uncertain what you are saying here. Are you saying that clients
>> don't have wives and children to support, and so have some special
>> insight into what camera one should be using?
>>
>> I'm only saying that if you hire a domain expert to do a job, stay out
>> of their way while they work.
>>
> No, I'm saying you apparently don't and can be picky about whom you work
> for. Or, perhaps, you have made different lifestyle choices.
>
> Clients don't have any special insights, but do have deep set images, fed by
> movies and tv and camera companies advertising, about what professional
> photographers use. If they see you using what they assume to be an amateur
> camera, they won't lie your work or hire you again.
>
> My friends experience was a full time commercial shooter, not someone
> selling pretty sunset pictures at art fairs. That probably means something,
> too.

It's funny -- this argument extends to the recording industry as well.

I have a number of friends who own and use things like Digidesign's
ProTools or an SSL mixing desk simply because their clients think that
you're a professional only if you have what they perceive as
"professional" recording gear.  Doesn't matter if that engineer's talent
will allow him to make a killer recording with an old analog 16-track
Otari or with Ensoniq's Paris system (the one I toy with).  In their
eyes, if you don't have ProTools (Nykon, Canyon), you're not a real
professional even if they don't have a clue how you work.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon