Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:41:33 +0000
I used something like fingerless gloves in fairly low temperatures in
south Germany in winter.  I was on a winter survival exercise in the
mid-80s in temperatures between -10 and -22C with gloves that were
just covers for the back of the hand.  The palm was bare and the
"gloves" were held on with loops around thumb, forefinger and little
finger.

They were gloves that were stored in the survival pack of the ejection
seat and we were issued with them as the training was all about
survival after ejection.  I still have the gloves and I used them a
couple of weeks ago, although I don't think that I would be able to
use them in temperatures like that now.

The training was also for avoiding capture.  After 3 nights in those
temperatures, sleeping in bags and tepees made from parachutes, we
walked out in the evening to make a RV at around 0400, with German ski
troops after us.  Our team of 3 found a friendly deer-herd who
provided us with shelter for a couple of hours, beer and jam
sandwiches, before driving us to a point around 1km short of the RV.
So those gloves have sentimental value as well ... ;-)

Chris