Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs

Subject: Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:18:46 -0600
Moose wrote:

> I view this rule as like DOF, dependent on viewing distance and
> sharpness. HD on a good set carries so much more detail that it stands
> up to closer viewing. 1:4 doesn' seem at all too close to me.

Studies have shown that 1:5 - 1:8 is the typical distance that has evolved
through the years. It is not a rule festooned on the consumer, but what the
consumer has done themselves.  It is very common when somebody gets a
mega-screen TV, they end up moving the furniture backwards after a few weeks
to about the same height to distance ratio as they had with the smaller TV.

When designing projection systems for churches, we are pretty strict about
following this height to distance rule.  But for those systems, the closest
seats are usually 1:4 and the farthest is 1:10.

Nobody suggested that Moose was "normal", though.  :)

AG