Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs

Subject: Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:41:14 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> Standard screen height to viewing distance is 1:5 to 1:8.  This is true
> regardless of screen height.  The larger the screen, the farther away one
> sits.

I view this rule as like DOF, dependent on viewing distance and
sharpness. HD on a good set carries so much more detail that it stands
up to closer viewing. 1:4 doesn' seem at all too close to me.

Moose

> The problem with today's LCD/Plasma screens is the interpolation engine
> built-in. It's amazing, but a standard DVD will actually look better on a
> CRT.

I'm not familiar with those. With my 55" rear projection unit and
progressive scan DVD player, DVDs of good source material look quite
good at 1:4. Not HD, but darn good. There's no uprezzing involved as far
as I can see. The 720p output from the DVD player goes directly into the
TV's non-HD component input and shows in 720p mode. I think the TV uses
a different vertical frequency to give the fewer lines, rather than
messing with the signal. Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

The 27" CRT in another room, also with separate DVD player, looks fine
with DVDs, but isn't as involving as the big set, simply because the
image is small. It's hard to directly compare image quality, as the
sizes are so different, but I much prefer DVDs on the big screen.

> ...  People see ours and instantly say "Oh, you have HDTV".

You need visitors with more discriminating eyes.

By the way, although MPEG4 compressed, as a practical matter, I've
compared the satellite feed to direct OTA of the same local channels,
and I don't see any difference on the programming I watch.

Moose