Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs

Subject: Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:21:47 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> We just started HDTV receiving last summer, just in time to catch up with the
> Olympic game, the different between HD and DVD is very big if you are keep a
> viewing distance of 1:4 to 1:6 (image height). DVD only have 720
> lines horizontal (correct me if I'm wrong), even our TV is not full HD
> (1366x768) we can see a big different.

My HDTV has a screen height of about 27" and viewing position puts my
eyes about 110" from the screen, so if I understand you correctly, I'm
viewing at 1:4.

My TV shows 1080 vertical lines, so simple math suggests 16:9 means it
is 1920x1080. Is that what you mean?

Anyway, I agree that HD with a good source is much better than DVD. I
don't have an upsampling DVD player. I understand from reviews that they
improve the quality of DVDs on HDTVs significantly. Again, I have no
personal experience, but I'm sure it's still not as good as true HD.

However, my main point was about the source quality of the majority of
video material currently available on DVD. Most older movies and TV
shows simply don't have the resolution available from the original
sources to show a great deal of improvement when viewed on HD (1080) vs.
DVD (720).

I suppose most of the older movies I see on HD are really just upsampled
from DVD quality transfers from film. So I may not know what would be
available from new transfers from original film to HD. Newer movies do
indeed show full HD quality on the HDTV. but they are still a small
proportion of all available movies.

I recall watching the second Lord of the Rings on DVD the night before
going to view part three. I was surprised in the theater to realize that
what I was seeing wasn't quite as clear as the DVD. (I was a
projectionist years ago; the projector itself was in focus.) Perhaps a
poor print, or maybe the film really wasn't quite up to 720p?

In any case, what I'm seeing on older movies on HD isn't up to newer
material created expressly for HD. I was commenting on the effect of
what consumers see on whether they would likely find Blu-Ray worth
buying, not on theoretical best cases. My HD equipment is full
resolution and I'm viewing HD both from OTA and Satellite sources. I
think what I'm viewing is as good or better than what most consumers are
seeing, so my observations are likely meaningful for their experience.

Based on what I'm viewing, I can't see the point to Blu-Ray at this
time. HD just isn't enough better than DVD to justify the greater cost
of players and media - for me.  If most others are like me, then the
mass, high volume volume sales required to bring prices down to DVD
levels may not happen.

Besides, my media cabinet is full.  :-)   Do they make combo VCR/Blu-Ray
players that also play DVDs? Cheap?

Moose