Re: [OM] More managed bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] More managed bokeh
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:25:06 -0600
I don't find that the OOF foreground of C.H.'s photo distracts because
of OOF but because it is blown out in relation to the main part of the
image.  Like you, I also like the visual tension of it, but I think I
would like it a lot more if it weren't getting the main light while
the model is in the shadows.  In the Bokeh TOPE from ages ago I tried
a very shallow focus (f2.8) in order to isolate a bee between OOF
patches:

http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=3&pic=13

I think it worked out OK because it doesn't compete with the rest of
the image with respect to the lighting of the whole.

As far as your examples go, they don't compare well with each other.
One loves the joy, beauty, and straightforwardness of the second, and
I presume it captures something of the essence of the girl (who is
very adorable, I'm sure I don't need to tell you!).  First one is
utsy-futsy.  You need to let bystanders tell you about that one.
Family might beat you up if you futsify a grandchild unless there's a
prize involved.  But as a bystander, I find it interesting, and I'm
glad to see it and enjoy looking at it.

Joel W.