[OM] Reversed Cine Lens (was OM Bellows)

Subject: [OM] Reversed Cine Lens (was OM Bellows)
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:19:56 -0800
Wayne raised the question as to what cine lens did I use (reversed) on my
bellows (and extension tubes).

It was basically choosing a cine lens that would provide an easy mounting
scheme.  What I wanted was a lens that had threaded ring that I would guess
enabled a drop in filter to be inserted and then the ring screwed back in to
hold that filter in place.

My method of mounting was to take the female portion of a metal 49mm filter
stack cap and make hole in the center of it that would accommodate the threaded
male portion of the cine filter capture section.  I then was able to screw the
lens and filter holder together pinching the stack cap between the two pieces.
I then use a 49mm reverse mount and screw the cine/stack cap onto it, and mount
that onto the bellows/tubes what have you.

I use a Wollensak Raptar 9mm, 6.5mm and a Wittnauer Chronostar at 13mm.  The
Wittnauer was 8 bucks at a surplus store.

The 6.5mm is really difficult to deal with, the depth of field is just about
nothing.  The 13mm on my 65-116 tube was giving me a 9X magnification.

Maybe Dean Hansen will pipe up, we traded notes once and he mentioned using an
Elgeet 7mm reversed and getting 12x directly on the camera.  I've got the
distinct feeling he's gotten much higher quality shots than I have.

The price is a lot cheaper than a 38mm or a 20mm, but you do lose the auto
diaphragm and the quality is not superb.  Lighting is tough.  But it is cheap.
I got the idea from John Shaw's book Closeups in Nature.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets