Re: [OM] My OM Zuiko Rebirth

Subject: Re: [OM] My OM Zuiko Rebirth
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:24:03 -0800
WayneS wrote:
> Very very nice.
>
> Oly missed the boat not enabling OM'ers the way a Can*n FF does.

That seems a bit unfair. Although Oly dragged their feet for a while
about an OM to 4/3 adapter, they did give in. Although they weren't
sufficient in my mind, they did, in fact, have some valid concerns about
exposure issues. And frankly, if I were them, I'd much prefer that any
such adaptations be done through third party adapters. Use of the manual
adapters isn't for the technically unskilled.

I can just see the user complaints about how they put their old lens on
an E-thingie and couldn't focus and/or couldn't get correct exposures,
and so on and so forth. I'll bet they have received at least hundreds of
queries/complaints that the AF doesn't work properly, so the adapter
must be defective. C'mon, you know it's true! :-)

Canon never offered an EF to 4/3 adapter, they are all third party. All
Canon has done is offer FF cameras that happen, through astute thinking
when they replaced the FD mount with EF, to have a short register
distance, making them suitable for adapters for MF lenses of many makes
and mounts.

OM to 4/3 and OM to EF are quite similar on the Canon small sensor
cameras, mostly just a different aspect ratio.

So you think Oly should have offered FF DSLRs instead of oing the 4/3
route? Just to accomodate their old OM customers' lenses? That would
have been a "bet the company" venture, for sure.

Moose