Re: [OM] My OM Zuiko Rebirth

Subject: Re: [OM] My OM Zuiko Rebirth
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:34:57 -0600
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> WayneS wrote:
>> Very very nice.
>>
>> Oly missed the boat not enabling OM'ers the way a Can*n FF does.
>>

> That seems a bit unfair. Although Oly dragged their feet for a while
> about an OM to 4/3 adapter, they did give in. Although they weren't
> sufficient in my mind, they did, in fact, have some valid concerns about
> exposure issues. And frankly, if I were them, I'd much prefer that any
> such adaptations be done through third party adapters. Use of the manual
> adapters isn't for the technically unskilled.

I totally agree.  Expressions of abandonment pre-date the E-system by
many years.  In retrospect it appears that Olympus put little into the
OM system from about 1990 onwards -- no more than a couple of great
lenses that probably gave them some return for R&D that would play out
more fully in the E-system.  When Olympus did offer an adapter, they
said you probably won't find the results perfectly to your liking,
they gave it away for free (mostly), and they published stop ranges
for all of the OM lenses where the lenses work best with the adapter.

I don't know a single person who uses OM glass exclusively on a
digital body.  Obviously, most of us don't really enjoy stop-down
metering, etc.  This goes for 5D users as well, as far as I can tell.
Most people's practice has tended to validate exactly what Olympus
said prior to releasing the free adapter!  (Ken Norton may be the most
notable exception to this, but I think he still uses the 14-54 quite a
bit. I'll be interested in his comments.)

I still remember how pleased I was with the DZ 14-54.  (I still am.)
There was no feeling of having dropped off a quality level from the Z
35-80/2.8, which is my main lens in the OM system.  Not bad for a kit
lens.  Small wonder that the novelty, with the exception of a couple
special lenses, of the OM adapter passed relatively quickly -- for me,
at least -- but I don't think I'm alone in saying this.

Joel W.