Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups

Subject: Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:30:57 -0500
You've got quite a memory.  I didn't even remember it but I did a Google
search and found: "Both IBM and Microsoft issued a minor release update
to DOS 3.2 called 3.21. This new version was available free of charge if
you had 3.2, and corrected problems with BASIC and the keyboard of the
IBM Convertible PC, as well as some other minor bugs."  Not exactly
earth shaking in the bugs department.  Also, the IBM Convertible PC
hardware hadn't yet been released at the time 3.2 went out.

Our target for bugs in those days was 0.7 defects per thousand lines of
code.  We were trying meet IBM's mainframe software standard of 1 defect
per Kloc and later improve it to 0.7 defect/Kloc.  The IBM developed
code met that standard.  Microsoft developers of the day couldn't seem
to comprehend why any such standard was required.  Although Microsoft
wrote the first versions of DOS, IBM eventually took over writing more
and more of the code and testing to keep on schedule and keep up the
quality level.  The same happened with OS/2.  Microsoft never met their
deliverable commitments.  We never did development or testing of BASIC
though.  I do hope the processes have improved over the years.  1 defect
/Kloc is 50,000 latent bugs when the OS is 50 million lines of code!

Chuck Norcutt