Re: [OM] OT, Miramar Re: While on the subject of computer safety and bac

Subject: Re: [OM] OT, Miramar Re: While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:16:58 -0600

> I'm afraid that that is nothing more than a little Grob 115E (an RAF
> "Tutor").  A Tutor can do loop in around 400ft, top to bottom using a
> base of at least 3,000ft.  But an F16 will need a base of 5,000ft,
> taking around the same space, top to bottom to perform the manoeuvre.
> And a Tornado, in normal training fit (quite draggy and heavy) will
> need 8,000ft as the base and around 10,000ft of space, top to bottom.
> So, in a Tutor you will see normal light, but in a Tornado it will
> might like the stratosphere (darker above the horizon, lighter below)
> as the thing is up around 20,000ft at the top.  The other difference
> is the entry speed.  A Tutor will go around a loop quite happily if
> you enter at 120knots or more, whereas a training fit Tornado GR1/4
> will need 450knots and afterburner (for the first half; you deselect
> burner for the back half otherwise it will hurtle earthwards in a most
> worrying way ... :-)).

A fully loaded Tornado is obviously not a good "air-show" plane.

I remember when the F16 was being showed for the first time at the Paris Air
Show. The routine they had that first year was unbelievable!  Halfway down
the runway on the takeoff roll, it went straight up then did an imitation
hammerhead (obviously it wasn't) and came screaming straight back down at
the runway where at the last second it pulled back out to horizontal and
continued down the runway at about 100 foot.  It was a routine that stopped
everybody in their tracks--NOBODY had seen anything like it before.

AG