Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups

Subject: Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:45:31 -0000
At least one CP/M command also survived into MS/DOS.

I recall a late 1980s misbehaving Toshiba plasma-screen laptop PC (high-end,
it had an 80486 chip!) which seemed not to recognise that files had been
copied between its A and B floppy drives (only one physical drive, swapping
floppy disks in and out) - though another laptop would show them in the
directory listing of the same floppies.

Could it be that the hardware disk-change sensing switch was faulty? Because
CP/M didn't have such a thing, you had to tell CP/M when you changed floppy
disks, "Ctrl-c - change disk".

To my amazement, the command still worked in MS-DOS, forcing the PC to
re-read the directory.  That was a very confusing moment, I can tell you.

Piers