[OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups

Subject: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:54:49 -0800
I didn't label this OT, because I feel the security of most of digital
image files is a normal part of photography these days.

I've been doing my back-ups to external HDs, now half with eSATA
connections. As I looked at adding capacity, I was again struck by how
much the external enclosure adds to the total cost. The 1.5TB Seagate I
was looking at is available in a bundle with an eSATA enclosure for $30
more, an additional 21%.

At the moment, I have a hodgepodge of four different drive enclosures,
and this would add a fifth. These drives and enclosures sit there turned
off most of the time, immune from virus attack, etc. They also take up
AC outlets, but I have only one eSATA header, so connection swapping is
needed. Swappng drives intoa nd out of the enclosures is possible, but
slow and awkward.

Looking for a simpler, cheaper solution, I came across this drive
interface that works sorta like an old 8-track tape cassette. You stick
the SATA drive in the hole and it's hooked up
<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3829117&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-03order&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER>

It claims drives are hot-swappable and the user reviews support that it
works well. It was only $15 more than the simple enclosure - and that
took my order over the $200 mark to qualify for a $20 rebate if I bought
using PayPal, so the actual cost of the interface device went down $5.

It doesn't arrive 'til Monday, so I won't be reporting on it for a few
days, at least. The potential to add/upgrade back-up HDs cheaper and
store them in less space seems quite attractive, especially the space
saving in the small fire safe. Now all I'll need is a set of sturdy
cardboard HD boxes with anti-static coatings inside. :-)

Moose