Re: [OM] Boot disk cloning, was: - question re anti-virus program

Subject: Re: [OM] Boot disk cloning, was: - question re anti-virus program
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:29:20 -0800
I'm curious too. I've bought a disk to act as back-up for my boot disk.
I want to keep it off-line except for regular updates. I also want to be
able to simply plug it in in place of the existing boot disk if
something goes wrong.

Researching what inexpensive/free app will do that simply and reliably
has been tough. The product info never seems to address the question of
complete, swappable back-up.

I tried this with my last machine, creating a sector by sector clone.
However, when I tried swapping disks, Windoze still saw the new one as a
different drive number and I couldn't get it to boot from that drive.
Apparently, Windoze puts info on the nature and drive letter of drives
in a hidden place. At least XP did.

I keep all the files backed up, but failure of the primary would then
require booting from DVD, then restoring from the backup, far more
tedious. I haven't had a boot disk go south since the days of RLL run
length encoding, but would like to be covered.

Any help appreciated.

Moose