Re: [OM] On free film...

Subject: Re: [OM] On free film...
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:10:01 -0600
Further to the film-digital bokeh bruhaha...

My 100/2.8 is awesome on film, not so awesome on digital. My 200/4 is also
amazing on digital, but not as stellar on film. The 24/2.8 is OK on film,
but excellent on digital.  The 35/2.8 is just beautiful on both.

One thing that has me wondering about Chris' 85/2.  I recall that one
list-member had a 35/2 which had a reversed element in it.  It would not be
out of the realm of possibility that Chris' 85/2 also has a reversed
element.  With a reversed element, you could still have a sharp lens, but
the focus scale would probably be slightly off.  Even with the newer
floating-element 85/2 lens design, I cannot imagine that bokeh would be that
much different than earlier 85/2 designs.

My 100/2.8 is somehow very unique and I'm with Chris that it is a favorite.
It is a bit long for portraiture--except for head-shots, but I find myself
looking for opportunities to use the lens.  You start to look at the world
with 100mm blinders on.

Two new lenses just came to live at the unofficial "Olympus Living History
Farm" and I am looking forward to learning how to maximize their own unique
characteristics on "Bodies Olympus" both digital and film.

Related to this, we will be testing all lenses at the OLHF on the E-3 (no,
not mine) at all apertures on a resolution chart and the results will be
posted on www.zone-10.com. I'd use the E-1, but most classic Zuikos far
exceed the resolving ability of the sensor.  We are also experimenting with
a "bokeh test fixture", again for all lenses at all apertures.

AG-Farmer-Schnozz
Head Ranch Hand
Olympus Living History Farm