Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:21:59 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Moose, could you try Dfine as NR software ?.
> Same people who did Viveza and SilverEfex Pro.

I think you know I didn't like Viveza. I find the U-point approach far
too imprecise, with effects spilling over and/or not getting all of the
desired area. I seem to recall posting some examples where I thought it
did a much poorer job than simple PS tool applications? I disliked the
interface a lot too.

It appears that this same technology is at the heart of Dfine. Some of
those on the DPreview retouching forum who liked Dfine seemed to do so
on the basis of U-point. I'm simply not interested in that part. I can
see where someone who isn't up on using layers and masking might find it
useful, but that's not me. :-)

I far prefer masking my own way. That also lets me use quite different
settings for different areas of an image. The idea of having light NR
with strong resharpening fuzz over into an area that needs strong NR
with no resharpening is unacceptable to me.

If It seemed that Dfine did a better basic job of NR, I might be
interested if I could just ignore U-point. What I've seen in a brief
wander through the web doesn't seem to indicate that. Maybe as good as
what I already have, but what's the point in learning a new product for
that?

So I guess the answer is no, I'm not likely to try it.

If you like Viveza, you may well like Dfine.

Clear Boundary Moose