[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:56:40 -0500
Failures depend on whether the flash is being written to regularly or not.

We built a Linux gateway box that used an SD card as the file system.
They would fail within about 2-3 months of operation. We used SandDisk
SD cards. SandDisk does not implement any wear algorithms, hence the
quick failure. So the lifetime is a matter of write once only. Also many flash
cards do not implement error correction or automatic re-mapping. So
there will be a wide variation in experiences and quality of Flash. The push
for high density and high speed has driven the market more than reliability.

I program embedded devices, and the flash memory on a Freescale
microprocessor is a lot more robust than today's flash cards, so there
is no reason why the technology cannot produce long life, just that the
market has not pushed that as a design feature. Whereas the Freescale
microprocessor has to be reliable, so it has a different performance metric.
But the super fast burst rate of a camera has speed as the dominant
profit margin maker for compact flash, not longevity.

Now I hear that the Akashic record is permanent, but that exists on the
astral plane and to date, no devices have been built to access it other
than well trained psychics.... :-) but I digress...

WayneS