[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:03:38 -0600
Back before CF prices started dropping like hunks of abstestos from the
building being demolished next door, the Microdrives were much less
expensive per gig than CF. The "common wisdom" was that Microdrives were
unsafe because of shock damage.  There was much lamenting, heaps of ashes
and sackcloth involved in the rumours of doom and gloom.  However, nobody
could actually come up with any examples of failed Microdrives that were
caused by shock damage.  True, you can ruin one by squeezing one, but that's
another story.

What most people don't realize is that the Microdrives don't run continously
and the heads are parked in a safe spot nearly the entire time.  A few
seconds of inactivity and the drive is shut off and the heads parked.  My
only real complaint with Microdrives in the E-1 is the extreme slowness.  A
full buffer of RAW images take around a minute to clear.  The Minolta A1
will write files in half the time of the E-1.

My personal experience with Microdrives is that they are S-L-O-W and I get
around 20% less battery runtime.  It's not the first memory device I use
because of these two issues, but when I'm working a large event or on
vacation, I can cook through my stash of storage devices.  However, I'll use
it either in my backup camera, or during times of one-off picture taking.
Bursts can get you bogged down.

AG