[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:15:13 -0500
Ah, yes.  Fire, water and computers.  Reminds me of another one of those
old IBM stories.  I had the weekend management coverage duty for three
large data centers, my own and a couple of others.  They were normally
unmanned on the weekend or at most had one or two operators around
during the day shift.  It was some Sunday afternoon in the late 1980's
and I making my rounds checking that things looked normal.  For some
reason (I have no idea why) I decided to go get a floor tile lifter to
check under the raised floor.  When I lifted the tile out I nearly had a
heart attack.  There, instead of just 400 volt power cables and 4"
deionized water mains for cooling (that big iron generated a lot of
heat) was about 4" of water.  One of the cooling pipes had sprung a leak
and was filling up the under floor area.  In a frantic panic I hit the
EPO (Emergency Power Off) button for the first and only time in my life
and brought the whole complex down in an instant.  My heart still
flutters when I think about it.  I don't know why the water didn't drain
off somewhere or why it hadn't already caused a short because there were
  lots of submerged 400 volt cables.  Maybe just the fact that it was
deionized or maybe the connectors make and exceptionally good seal.
Shudder... shudder.  The moral of the story is back things up.  You
never know what's gonna happen.

Chuck Norcutt