[OM] Re: [OT] emissions controls, was: I have returned

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] emissions controls, was: I have returned
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:34:39 -0400
Speaking of emissions controls, one of the unexpected adventures upon my
return was to find that the older car left sitting in the driveway felt
so neglected that it shorted its battery internally during my absence.
I was only mildly surprised as I didn't think it advisable to trust the
old one through the winter and had planned on changing it this month
anyhow.  After jumping it and taking it to the shop for a replacement
battery I requested that they also do a safety and emissions check which
is due before the end of the month.  Much to my surprise they said they
would be unable to do the test because the dead battery had dropped
power to and lost the computer's emissions system memory.  It seems that
it takes about 3 days of driving to return things to a state where the
system will pass the emissions test.  The memory loss seemed strange for
even a 9 year old car so I asked if more modern vehicles used some form
of flash or other non-volatile memory.  The answer was: "Nope, they all
do it."  I was advised that it frequently catches even their experienced
mechanics who forget that a vehicle in for an emissions inspection and
some other type of work that requires disconnecting the battery needs to
have the emissions check performed first.

Chuck Norcutt