[OM] Re: [OT] Battery weirdness [was emissions controls, was: I have ret

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Battery weirdness [was emissions controls, was: I have returned]
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:45:11 -0500
I've had batteries internally short that were almost brand-new.  A
possibility with Moose's car is that there is too much heat buildup in the
engine compartment where the battery is located. Normally, this isn't a
problem, but for cars driven almost exclusively in slow and stop (california
style) traffic you can cook things in those 15 mph speed zones.

On the opposite side of the equasion, I had a 1986 Pontiac Grand Am which I
drove to 193000 miles on the original battery.  I went through three or
four alternators and COMPLETELY discharged the poor battery at least a
half-dozen times.  It never ceased to bounce back.  All I had to do was get
a jump start and I'd just drive the thing for a few minutes to let the
charging circuit do its thing.

In my Jeeps, the biggest pain is that every battery failure I've had has
been sudden and unexpected.  Three jeeps, five failures.  Yes, there is a
known issue with heat in all Cherokees/Grand Cherokees.  My "new" 04 GC,
which I bought several weeks ago came with a brand new battery, so I should
be good for another month.

AG