[OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:00:32 +1000
Grovelling apologies for the unfunny typo - I'll try for accidental
humour in future.
(Tho' the spillchucker archly informs me I got two words wrong there
- bloody murkin spelling I will not do).

I hear your pain. In my present final year Philosophy class, about
half the students should be there. The other half are ballast,
although they do provide the number to allow the class to run. They
range from one who is bright enough to be doing first year Philosophy
in parallel at the best University available here (at least the
toughest to get into) in an accelerated program to a couple who
simply have no idea what is going on. To have to explain Plato's
analogy of the Divided Line three times today in excruciating detail,
knowing that at least three students will never get it and four or
five are now bored witless is rather dispiriting. So when the smart
ones disappear behind their laptops and  may be doing something
entirely different, I choose not to notice. I hate the waste of their
time though - at both ends of the spectrum.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx