[OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:34:32 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> This being a High School, getting the useless sods to WRITE THIS DOWN! was
> about the only hope of anything sticking on he way through.

First, thanks for the typo. I just noticed some in my last posts. Maybe
it was better when my own posts didn't come through to me. :-)

One of the things that has annoyed me for most of my life, and become
particularly bad where I live of late, is the tendency to cater to the
poorer students.

The amount of repetition and boredom I had to live through in high
school was appalling and depressing. An hour spent being forced to
pretend to pay attention to the attempted dissemination of material I
read and retained in the first few minutes was just painful.

Not all classes were like that. What would today be called the AP
classes were better. Chem was first rate and biology not bad. And I had
one good and one simply outstanding English teacher. Still, the amount
of time spent - wasted, sitting to repetition and crap was appalling.

One teacher was cool. The State required one to take courses in American
History and Government. Everybody took them and there was no separation
of classes by academic capability. This guy couldn't let me skip the
classes, but he did let me sit in the back and read or study other
things, as long as I kept up with the work and did well on the tests.

When I discovered that I was about to meet the State graduation
requirements half a year early, I skipped a class to run to my counselor
and get the paper work going. He tried to talk me out of it, talking
about all the cool advanced stuff I could take. I couldn't believe it! I
wanted OUT!! When I started Cal the next semester, I thought I'd died
and gone to heaven. Sure, there were boring lecturers and silly classes
where one could learn the whole semester's material in a couple of
weeks. But you didn't have to go to them, just turn in the assignments
and take the tests. And there were some great classes, including some
that forced me to work seriously to keep up, which never happened in
high school.

To make sure "No child is left behind", we make sure that many children
are left behind their potential

A. Pissed Moose

(No, I haven't been drinking.)