[OM] Re: I hate cshool! [was Seriously who can afford one of these?]

Subject: [OM] Re: I hate cshool! [was Seriously who can afford one of these?]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:41:48 -0400
This "working it out on paper" vs. real life reminded me of an aha!
event from my high school days.  Sometime after I had taken a drafting
course in high school I was attending a career day presentation where
one of the speakers was a GM truck design engineer.  He was talking
about solving various problems in chassis design when it occurred to me
that, trying to determine the length of the fuel line snaking its way
from fuel tank to engine in 3 dimensions and based only on a 2
dimensional drawing must be very complicated.  I asked him how they did
it.  He was very kind in not laughing at me as he explained that they
simply waited until the chassis model was built, went down to the shop
and routed a piece of tubing between tank and engine, removed it and
then stretched it out and measured it.  Aha!  I think that's the day I
realized the difference between science and engineering.

Chuck Norcutt