[OM] Re: New Windoze Mojave OS

Subject: [OM] Re: New Windoze Mojave OS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:29:09 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> "navigation" is the right term.  All those swirling images make me seasick.
> When that sort of stuff shows up on screen I abandon the page pretty quickly.

Some don't work for me, others do. The one on the MS site didn't do
anything for me. I've been subject to motion sickness all my life,
although it seems to have abated somewhat as I've gotten older. However,
screen motion under the control my my mouse doesn't cause me trouble.
> I recently complained to CNN news about the background of the Fareed Zakaria
> show.  They often have the camera in motion either zooming in or out and
> swinging side to side while at the same time giant background screens display
> a bunch of swirling pap around the heads of the guests.  I found it so
> distracting that I couldn't concentrate on the content of the show and had to
> switch to a competing network.

I eschew TV news, from whatever you are describing to the stodgy talking
heads of PBS. For me, that significantly improves the quality of my life
without actually missing anything of value to me.
> It seems to me that graphics are being used just because they can...
> independent of whether it really adds anything to the presentation of the
> real subject.
Here, I disagree somewhat. For a large gallery, I find PicLens provides
an overview of the content that I find useful. We've had a few recent
posts of galleries that run to several pages of thumbnails. I really
takes me a while to get a sense of what is in them, and which parts
might be of most interest to me. I don't tend to use PicLens to view
individual images. Although it's better for that now than when it first
came out, when it would show massively uprezzed, and ugly, fuzzy
versions of my 840 pixel wide images. It still doesn't show them at
original size, uprezzing them slightly and taking the edge of sharpness off.
> For me it's a distinct negative.

For me, it depends on the details of the application and the subject.

Moose