[OM] Re: Africa

Subject: [OM] Re: Africa
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:51:17 -0700
Gordon Ross wrote:
> You are right twice Chris-- the girls were pretty and I need to detail and
> shorten the pics- I just threw that up for now.

> I must say that I like the format and useability of the 'mobileme' website -
> its pretty good.

It's nice looking, but has a few issues from my perspective, some of
which are probably correctable in Preferences, or some such place.

In FireFox and IE, all the images are resized from whatever you uploaded
to (886x665 in FF and 892x669 in IE on my machine/display). There is
plenty of display room to display full size. In most cases, that means
they have been downsized from 1024x768. I saw one that was upsized from
a smaller size. There are two consequences. First, they are generally
fuzzy looking, whereas if one views them outside the interface at full
size, they are much sharper looking. This is a consequence of relying on
quick, sloppy resizing algorithms that work on the fly as the image is
loaded. IE does a better job of resizing than FireFox, creating sharper
looking display images, but I think it may be slower to show the image.
The images displayed by FF are really pretty bad.

The second result is a consequence of the same issue. Because of the
need to resize each image as it is displayed, it takes longer than
necessary to display them. As I expected, Safari displays them full
size, and thus more quickly.

In all three browsers, the thumbnails are generated on the fly as each
index page is opened. Very slow compared to gallery apps that create the
thumbnails on the server when images are uploaded.

Oops, I just looked at another image in FF, and it came up full size.
All very random. I'll bet there is an option to force display to
original size only.

Moose