[OM] Re: flickr alternative

Subject: [OM] Re: flickr alternative
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 01:26:32 -0700
Tom Fenwick wrote:
> Looks pretty good...  And the free 100 photos is enough for a good portfolio
> if it allows a reasonable amount of flexibility.  I will investigate.
> Something much closer to a personal website than flickr or pbase would be
> fun - especially for nothing!

Certainly appears to create nice, pro looking pages. Hard to tell what
it's like to use without trying it. Some interfaces are really a pain,
awkward menu structures, slow, etc. Gallery 2, for example, can make
perfectly nice galleries, but drives me a little crazy to use. There
have been others with that problem, but I forget the names.

It isn't clear from the demos whether ViewBook has an option to display
EXIF info. Because of the audience I post many images to, I like to be
able to do that.

The 100 image limit would catch up with me quickly.  :-)   As soon as
you go over, it's $12/mo. One GB of space on IDCSoft.com, and I'm sure
other providers, is $6/per month. With one's own web space, all sorts of
control and options open up - and no ads, etc. So for one with lots of
images and a free gallery creator, that's a cheaper option.

I find myself using Singapore more and more. It looks nice, with several
different templates available, and is easy to use as a viewer. Tossing
either an image or a new gallery up on the web with it is amazingly
quick and easy. The Singapore admin interface isn't bad, but I use
CoffeeCup FreeFTP to simply drag and drop files from Windoze Explorer in
to the web directories.

With some additions to the modified .php file Dan Mitchell provided, I
get great EXIF display, including FF eq. focal lengths.

Another cool thing for me is the ability to add labels, descriptions,
etc. offline, without those annoying little delays as screens display.
If you go into admin and make one little change, like giving a gallery
or photo a name other than the directory or file name, Singapore writes
a little .csv file. I download that and fill in the details in Excel,
where you can very quickly annotate, reorder, etc. Insertng extra breaks
controls the line breaks in the information display. Several images with
the same info for a field? Just copy it instantly. Upload the modified
file, reload the page, and it's all done.

By far the quickest, easiest way to display image galleries that I've
tried. JAlbum is cool and free. I particularly like the way it sets
everything up on my computer, then can upload the finished gallery on
its own, with no separate FTP app. Again, it avoids all those screnn
display delays of creating a gallery on line. But I find myself using
Singapore.

Moose