[OM] Re: More Experimentation

Subject: [OM] Re: More Experimentation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 23:48:13 -0700
Scott Peden wrote:
> ..... My ability to manually focus is really bad, never did get any good
> shots with manual focus though I have kept my long lenses, I can't get a
> decent shot with the 70-300 on manual yet auto is spectacular compared to
> that, so it is nearly a necessity to have auto focus.
Keep some perspective. The E-330 and E-500 are really poor (abysmal
might be a better word) cameras for manual focus through the viewfinder.
The viewfinders are small and dim, compared to those on many other small
sensor DSLRs, let alone FF models. The focusing screens are optimized
for brightness, which is not optimal for seeing focus, and have no
focusing aids. In the case of the E-330, brightness is further
compromised by the partially silvered mirror that lets light onto the
Mode A live-view sensor.

Then there are the lenses you are using, except for the 50/2. Perfectly
good lenses for what they were designed for, small, inexpensive and
light. But really, put an f5.6 tele lens on an OM-1 and try to focus it,
tough in any but the very best light.

The wonder isn't that you can't focus those cameras with the slow lenses
you have used. The wonder would be if you could do so.
> ..... At least work is good!

Excellent!!

Moose